Monday, August 16, 2010

Day #9.5 - Property Logistics

My sidekick is taking a super long nap, so I thought I would take a moment to address what could become a crucial issue.

Potential Land Value.

I am looking for donated property that no one is using or wants (and isn't likely "build-able" for the traditional house). If I succeed in finding a piece of property and constructing a real house and will be of some sort of real estate value. I am not trying to do this to "make money"... I am trying to see if it is possible to build a house from the craigslist free section and create a beautiful home from salvaged materials.


So, our pledge is that if we are donated land and can actually build a house and if we ever sell it or make money from it in anyway (ie. rent it out), we will donate 65% of the proceeds to charity in the name of the generous property owner.

Why 65%? I am assuming there will be some significant costs to construction this house such as potential power/sewer hook-up, permit and labor. Additionally, there will be closing costs (etc. etc. etc.) At this point I am a 3rd year MLA (Master's in Landscape Arch) student facing a bleak job market, so I want to make sure there is a way to cover those aforementioned costs at some point in the future.

If the property owner doesn't have a charity in mind, Camino Seguro (Safe Passage) is near and dear to my heart and would be my charity of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment